[OpenIndiana-discuss] System halts on boot when there is no keyboard

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:45:35 UTC 2011

On 04/10/11 11:56 PM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
> I'll give it a try. Ken Mays (who replied directly to me and not to
> the list) has told me that this is a known issue and should be fixed
> in build 148b. This update can be retrieved from the
> http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev-il/ repository. It would be interesting
> to know how it differs from the ordinary /dev repo.
Great then. I recently upgraded BE to 148b, it is based on IllumOS OS/Net.
Beside it does not have local keyboard settings but Us english (I did
not found Gnome keyboard layout switching applet). I did not tried
unplugging keyboard or boot without keyboard but I am happy to know that
booting without keyboard is fixed in 148b+.
> But I find it hard to see how BIOS has anything to do with it. I do
> get past the BIOS_post and the GRUB bootloader. If the BIOS would
> object I suppose I would get a No Keyboard BIOS_post error and a halt
> in the BIOS and not while OpenIndiana is booting up.
That is right. I just thought that you maybe were not past the BIOS_post
and found important to mention BIOS settings too, if someone forget
setting it in BIOS before turning ordinary PC in headless server.