[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS slow reads but fast writes

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Mon Apr 18 01:51:17 UTC 2011

I have a 5-disk raidz on a 3.2ghz P4 with 4GB ram.  OI build 148.  I set up
a cifs share and ran crystaldiskmark.  The link is gigabit, and iperf both
ways exceeds 800mb/sec.  Anyway, writing from my win7 box to the OI, I hit
about 62MB/sec, but reads are only about 21MB/sec!  I have spent an hour or
two googling, but can't find anything at all helpful.  I know it isn't a
transport-level issue, since running the same test to an iscsi-mapped zvol
gets me about 64MB/sec reads.  Any ideas where I should be looking?