[OpenIndiana-discuss] device support for multitouch?

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Mon Apr 18 07:45:02 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I'm trying to solve a bit of mouse-related finger pain, and using a
trackpad seems to be helping.  I have an Adesso (Cirque) Smart Cat
device which functions as a three-button mouse with vertical scrolling
on Solaris-10U6, but its horizontal scrolling does not work (no button
events generated by the horiz. scroll stripe).  FYI, Xorg.0.log reports
finding 11 buttons, and ZAxisMapping is "4 5 6 7", but this is also
true for my basic Logitech 2-button+wheel mouse, and the fact that the
trackpad isn't sending button events for horizontal scroll seems to
indicate that xorg.conf isn't the problem.

I also have a machine with Build 148 on it (OpenIndiana), and an
S11Express LiveDVD to see if those do any better, but if anyone has
suggestions on how to get horizontal scroll working with this setup
(Solaris 10 or later), I'd appreciate it.

One other question:  I'd really like to use a device which supports
enough multitouch functionality to do two-finger scrolling (vertical
and horizontal, if possible).  I've seen reports that this works on
some laptop trackpads with OpenSolaris/OI/S11Express.  Does someone
out there know of a device I can add to my desktop machine which will
work like that?  Maybe a Wacom Bamboo Touch device?  Or something
which is Synaptics based?  Again, I can do Solaris-10, OpenIndiana,
or S11Express to accomplish this, but I'd like to have a clue before
I go buy something.

Thanks and regards,

Marion