[OpenIndiana-discuss] Diagnosing system crash

Martyn Klassen mklassen at imaging.robarts.ca
Wed Apr 20 17:36:08 UTC 2011

I recently updated the driver and firmware on my Adaptec RAID card and the system now randomly reboots. I tried reverting to an earlier boot environment with the old drivers, but I still get random system reboots.

Nothing in the log files in /var/adm and /var/log seems to indicate the source of these crashes. I tried to configure the system to produce core dumps on crash by enabling dumpadm

# dumpadm -y
      Dump content: kernel pages
       Dump device: /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/dump (dedicated)
Savecore directory: /var/crash/ernst
  Savecore enabled: yes
   Save compressed: on

But /var/crash/ernst is empty when the system reboots.

Is there something else that needs to be configured to get core dumps? What is the best way to diagnosis system crashes?

I am running OI 148

# uname -a
SunOS ernst 5.11 oi_148 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

Martyn Klassen