[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS slow reads but fast writes

Eric D. Mudama edmudama at bounceswoosh.org
Thu Apr 21 21:44:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21 at 13:53, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
>Gary wrote:
>>I can't speak to this issue in regards to OpenIndiana but CIFS/samba
>>has historically been much slower than NFS, FTP, and even netatalk,
>>etc. due to its large metadata overhead. One can observe this in the
>>wild with a few well time tcpdumps. One thing that might be worth
>>investigating in this situation, however, is a comparison of smbclient
>>transfers to/from another Unix host vs. transfers to/from a Win7 host.
>
>Yeah, I actually tested that.  smb on a centos5.5 box.  Almost
>identical results, which is why I am suspecting what you are.  I
>think for now, I'm just going to stick to using iSCSI....

Wierd.  My oi_148 installation (in-kernel CIFS server) reads large
files at ~100MB/s to win7-64 clients over a gigabit network without
trouble.

Intel e1000g network card with 9216 MTU on the server side (supermicro
kit build), switches are netgear prosafe, consumer generic realtek
stuff with default 1500 MTU on the client side.

--eric

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmudama at bounceswoosh.org