[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS with Dedupication for NFS server

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Apr 23 16:34:13 UTC 2011

On 04/23/11 06:01 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: Alan Coopersmith [mailto:alan.coopersmith at oracle.com]
>>
>> While I'm fairly sure Oracle disagrees with Mr. Harvey's claim that it's
>> not considered production worthy,
>
> Here's what I meant when I said that:
> The current production release is still Solaris 10, which does not include
> dedup yet.

Solaris 10 is a current production release, but it's not the only one.
Exadata & Exalogic machines ship with Solaris 11 Express, which seems to count
as production to me.   Of course, the price of those includes support to get
fixes that have been developed since the original Solaris 11 Express release
in November.

> If you want dedup from oracle, it's only available in Solaris 11
> Express.

Or in the Storage Appliance 2010.Q1 and later releases, but those are only
available for those appliances, not any other computers.

[This is getting way off-topic for the openindiana list though.]

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com