[OpenIndiana-discuss] php iconv //TRANSLIT error

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Apr 28 19:28:22 UTC 2011

I'm trying to get z-push running and I have run into what seems to be a
bug in oi_148 (dev_il).

After looking at this in detail, it looks like the iconv call is
failing. I put together a simple testcase:

<?php
echo iconv("ISO-8859-1", "UTF-8", "This is a test")
?>

This displays "This is a test" in the browser as expected.

However,

<?php
echo iconv("ISO-8859-1", "UTF-8"//TRANSLIT, "This is a test")
?>

fails, (as does using //IGNORE instead of //TRANSLIT).  Syslog reports:

PHP Notice:  iconv()[<a href='function.iconv'>function.iconv</a>]:
Unknown error (22) in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/tstphp1.php on line 2

Googling seems to point to a problem with the OpenIndiana iconv
library.  Should we be including giconv and binding with this from php
or replacing iconv with giconv?

Gary