[OpenIndiana-discuss] rsync & snapshot backups?

Jamon Camisso jamonation at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:48:44 UTC 2011

On 4/30/2011 7:22 PM, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> *** Yes, you're right.  I think I just got confused there for a bit.  So the
> only missing piece for me is some sort of rolling expiration so things don't
> get full due to having too many snaps...

I store snapshots with a date as part of the name for easy reference,
but you can also sort your snapshots based on when they were created e.g.:

 zfs list -H -r -t snapshot -o name,creation -S creation FOO/BAR |tail
-n +30

Say FOO/BAR consists of daily snapshots, the tail -n +30 will list
snapshots that are older than 30 days. If you have 2 daily snapshots, it
would list those older than 15 days etc.

Lots of ways to get the information you're after.

Cheers, Jamon