[OpenIndiana-discuss] Large jumps in system clock time

Dave Koelmeyer davekoelmeyer at me.com
Wed Aug 3 22:45:17 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Fresh install of oi_148 x86 on this new AMD Phenom II box I have just acquired. No applications nor system configuration/customisation post-install has taken place. If the system is started from cold, I will more often than not see errors logged during boot similar to:

WARNING: Time of Day clock error: reason [Jumped].
-- Stopped tracking Time Of Day clock.

When logged in, the Gnome clock reads a date and time completely incorrect (e.g. December 24 1986). Checking the date and time in BIOS however reads correctly, even across cold boots.

I see a few threads out there describing the same problem (on Solaris/OpenSolaris that is) as well as a workaround (http://dbaspot.com/solaris/251388-help-solaris-date-time-go-crazy.html is typical), but I would think that if the system clock is accurate in BIOS that would rule out a hardware problem? Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,
Dave