[OpenIndiana-discuss] "init 6/reboot" reboots the OS but not the hardware

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Thu Aug 4 19:37:22 UTC 2011

Cyril Plisko writes:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:

> > Hi, I just upgraded an aged OpenSolaris 2009.6 to OpenIndiana 148 and I
> > have a silly but annoying issue.
> >
> > When doing "init 6" or, even, "reboot", the OS shutdowns and reboot
> > inmediatelly, but the machine not actually reboots.
>
> That is  a feature called "fast" reboot (and a very useful one!)
> Use reboot -p for older reboot behaviour.
> See reboot(1M) for more info.

Yes, this is a new and very annoying feature.  Fortunately, you can
get rid of it quite easily.  There is an SMF service running:

  # svcs -l svc:/system/boot-config:default
  fmri         svc:/system/boot-config:default
  name         Boot Configuration Management
  enabled      true
  state        online
  next_state   none
  state_time   Thu Aug 04 20:25:44 2011
  logfile      /var/svc/log/system-boot-config:default.log
  restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
  dependency   optional_all/none svc:/system/manifest-import:default (online)
  dependency   optional_all/none svc:/milestone/multi-user (online)

(This is from S11 Express, but it should be the same for 148.)

This service has two properties related to reboot behavior:

  # svcprop -p config svc:/system/boot-config:default
  config/fastreboot_default boolean true
  config/fastreboot_onpanic boolean false
  config/stability astring Stable
  config/uadmin_boot_archive_sync boolean false
  config/value_authorization astring solaris.system.shutdown

If it says "true" for fastreboot_default as shown above, you can
set it to false:

  # svccfg -s svc:/system/boot-config:default setprop config/fastreboot_default = boolean: false

(Note this is one line.)

Don't forget to refresh the service:

  # svcadm refresh svc:/system/boot-config:default
  # svcprop -p config svc:/system/boot-config:default
  config/fastreboot_onpanic boolean false
  config/stability astring Stable
  config/uadmin_boot_archive_sync boolean false
  config/value_authorization astring solaris.system.shutdown
  config/fastreboot_default boolean false

And that reboot command will behave properly again. :-)

Hope this helps -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt