[OpenIndiana-discuss] blind users?

Robert Murray rob at mur.org.uk
Thu Aug 4 19:47:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 02:04:29PM +0100, Robert Murray wrote:

> I am currently downloading the OI build 148 live DVD, which I will try in virtualbox.  I'll let you know how I get on.

The build 148 live DVD is accessible with Orca, using the same instructions as for 2009.06.  The installer is also accessible.  After installation Orca is not set up by default, so you first have to log in with username and password and run orca by pressing alt+f2 and typing orca<enter>.

I haven't tried anything else yet, as it is very unresponsive in virtualbox.

If you want to install OI for use as a server, the accessibility is good enough to get it setup.  However if it is a desktop system you are looking for with an up to date version of orca, espeak, speakup and brltty, I would suggest Vinux http://vinuxproject.org

Regards

Robbie