[OpenIndiana-discuss] SFE repo 'git' package triggers 'This version is excluded by installed incorporation"

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff at imap.cc
Sat Aug 6 02:56:03 UTC 2011

You have just run into the nasty side of IPS.

I can see that this is going to be a problem. inkscape also can't be
installed at present because, pkg refuses to install the newer version
of library/gc that is at oi-sfe.

I'll discuss what to do about this with the OI developers. The simplest
solution would be for them to remove peripheral packages like git from
the software consolidations.

If they don't do that, another solution would be to rename the git
provided by oi-sfe, but that would go against the way the IPS developers
recommend IPS patches to be named. According to them, if a publisher
delivers the same package that the system does, it should use the same
name for the package as the system: the only difference should be the
publisher name.

Hopefully this problem will go away when OI starts building reasonably
fresh versions of packages in oi-build, as appears to be happening with
cmake, for example. Then oi-sfe would not have to provide newer versions
of packages that OI itself ships.

In the meantime, if you really need the newer version of git that's at
oi-sfe, you can build it yourself from the SFE spec. (I wish I knew why
pkg(1) will let you install a new version of git you built yourself but
not one that you get from another repository.) Instructions for setting
up an SFE build environment can be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pkgbuild/index.php?title=Pkgbuild_on_OpenSolaris

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.