[OpenIndiana-discuss] Large jumps in system clock time

Dave Koelmeyer davekoelmeyer at me.com
Tue Aug 9 01:57:36 UTC 2011

On 04 Aug, 2011,at 10:52 AM, Dave Koelmeyer <davekoelmeyer at me.com> wrote:

> On 04 Aug, 2011,at 10:46 AM, Dave Koelmeyer <davekoelmeyer at me.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Fresh install of oi_148 x86 on this new AMD Phenom II box I have just acquired. No applications nor system configuration/customisation post-install has taken place. If the system is started from cold, I will more often than not see errors logged during boot similar to:
> >

> > WARNING: Time of Day clock error: reason [Jumped].
> > -- Stopped tracking Time Of Day clock.
> >

> > When logged in, the Gnome clock reads a date and time completely incorrect (e.g. December 24 1986). Checking the date and time in BIOS however reads correctly, even across cold boots.
> >
> > I see a few threads out there describing the same problem (on Solaris/OpenSolaris that is) as well as a workaround (http://dbaspot.com/solaris/251388-help-solaris-date-time-go-crazy.html is typical), but I would think that if the system clock is accurate in BIOS that would rule out a hardware problem? Has anyone else experienced this?
>

> I should also mention that the error message above is preceded by an error advising that the time of day chip cannot be detected (I don't have the precise message to hand).

Hi All,

After swapping the mobo with the same new model, I am still seeing this behaviour accompanied by similar errors to:

WARNING: Time of day chip unresponsive
WARNING: Time of Day clock error: reason [Jumped by 0x2e4beaed]. -- Stopped tracking Time Of Day clock.

Highly unlikely that I'd see this with two brand new mobos, so I have entered the following to /etc/system:

set tod_broken=1
set dosynctodr=0

And will see what happens. Would it be worth opening a bug report for this?

Cheers,
Dave