[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 Forwarding.. Can't Open Display

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Wed Aug 24 18:05:16 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Jonathan Leafty <
jleafty+openindianadiscuss at gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI, I decided to see if maybe Xming was just acting up, enabled
> OpenSSH/X11
> forwarding on my Ubuntu box and I can successfully launch programs (like
> gedit).

One thing I've noticed about Xming is it does not allocate a TTY or create a
login shell when it connects.  This has caused problems for me in the past;
for example if you have a .profile or a system-wide /etc/profile neither
will be run for an Xming connection.

--
David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics