[OpenIndiana-discuss] Samba in OI 148 appears dysfunctional.

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 17:19:53 UTC 2011

I've been trying to get the Samba version that comes with OI to work,
but am unable to get it to authenticate. I'm running a Windows 7
client that I'd like to get going but have not had much luck.

I'd like to state here that yes, I'm aware that CIFS support exists
independent of Samba as well, and I've used it elsewhere. For my
limited use, Samba is fine. Besides, now it's a personal challenge. :p
I'll use the CIFS as a last resort of course, but ideally I'd just
like to get Samba going.

There was a previous discussion about getting samba to work titled
"Enable samba" in the archives, I'm seeing pretty much exactly the
same thing. Initial problems were to get it to run at all - that was a
simple conflict with the smb service used to make CIFS work. Disabled
those and put a bog standard smb.conf in /etc/samba and it does run,
but I'm unable to authenticate from Win 7 at least.

The customary smbpasswd -a username and such seems to work, but every
attempt I make to access the shares from Windows fails as if I was
trying to do so as a guest. I do note that the smbpasswd file and the
secrets.tdb file in /etc/samba/private update and look right at a
first glance. I thought perhaps there was an issue with that but
looking at the build-time options for smbd it does have
SMB_PASSWD_FILE: /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd in there.

That's about as far as I've gotten with getting the Samba that is in
the repository to function. It runs but I cannot authenticate using a
simple smbpasswd. Anyone gotten it to work and has pointers?

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com }--

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." -- Philip K. Dick