[OpenIndiana-discuss] clean install

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 17:27:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:31, Apostolos Syropoulos
<asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I have a system that runs the last version of OpenSolaris.
> I am not sure but I think I read somewhere that it is possible
> to create a new boot environment (BE) where I can have a clean
> installation of any version of OpenIndiana. In different

Just follow the instructions from:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Installing+or+Upgrading#InstallingorUpgrading-UpgradingfromOpenSolaris

It works fine. An upgrade using image-update will create a new boot
environment and you can switch back and forth between them if you have
issues with OpenIndiana. Basically a new snapshot is created and your
old OpenSolaris doesn't get touched.

Just don't upgrade your zfs pools to the latest versions of ZFS while
you're on OpenIndiana - if you do that, you can't go back and boot
into your OpenSolaris environments anymore. I did that... now I need
to back up my RAIDZ and reinstall everything from scratch and then
restore the data if I want to go back to OpenSolaris. :)

After my upgrade to OI 148 I have issues with SSH (specifically, X
forwarding) and Samba that I need to try to find a solution to, but
that may be just me.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com }--

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." -- Philip K. Dick