[OpenIndiana-discuss] Samba in OI 148 appears dysfunctional.

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 21:29:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 20:55, Oscar del Rio <delrio at mie.utoronto.ca> wrote:
> On 08/25/11 01:19 PM, Kimmo Jaskari wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to get the Samba version that comes with OI to work,
>> but am unable to get it to authenticate. I'm running a Windows 7
>> client that I'd like to get going but have not had much luck.
>>

> We have no problems running Samba on oi_148.
> You should post more details, such as what you have in the smb.conf file and
> log error messages.

Bog standard config file, much like yours. I've tried various
combinations of passd backend (setting it, leaving it off...) too. And
I've added my user with smbpasswd, obviously.

Currently using:

[global]
   workgroup = SLACKZONE
   server string = Slacker
   security = user
   passdb backend = smbpasswd
   encrypt passwords = yes

[tmp]
   comment = tmp Directories
   path = /tmp
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   public=yes

At best, when running the smdb daemon in interactive mode and debug
settings, I see:

setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close
all old resources.
check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [kimjas] -> [kimjas]
FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

I'm suspecting this may be Win 7 related specifically, ntlm, ntlmv2,
that sort of thing. But it just annoys me that it started with OI
after working fine with OpenSolaris 134.

Might not be specifically samba related, I installed sunstudio and all
that stuff and compiled my own samba from source and installed that
all in /opt (this one had nmdb too... which brings to mind, why is
there no nmdb in the Samba install with OpenIndiana?) and it behaves
exactly the same. This being Samba 3.6.0.

So yeah I have no idea what is going on here... time to go to bed
anyway, it's coming up on 1 am and I've been hammering my forehead
against this since 6pm. :) Fun times.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com }--

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." -- Philip K. Dick