[OpenIndiana-discuss] Samba in OI 148 appears dysfunctional.

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 16:09:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 02:56, Gary <gdriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2011 11:35 AM, "Kimmo Jaskari" wrote:
>
>> It appears to have something to do with authenticating... I know I've
>> entered the right password with smbpasswd, deleted the user, recreated
>> the user, the works. Tried smbpasswd as the database, tried without
>> having it specified at all, just no go.
>
> Windows 7 defaults to NTLMv2. Check the Samba docs and/or this thread:
> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/174960-samba-ntlmv2-128bit-how-make-work.html

Thanks, I did find that and was on track there, but what I didn't know
was that you need security = domain (my config file was initially
basically the sample with a few things edited out and shares added)
and had security = user.

The weird thing is that that exact conf (I copied it across verbatim)
worked just fine with the Samba that came with OpenSolaris 134. I did
nothing to the client(s) that run Win 7 to get it working then, and I
did set the Win 7 box to force NTML only using secpol.msc and still
got those refusals.

I'm using the ZFS CIFS approach instead, which leaves me with some ACL
issues in my ZFS filesystems to work out instead apparently, but at
least there were no issues with getting that to work, just enabled the
smb service(s) again and ran the usual zfs commands.

I've given up on Samba, two evenings is way too much to spend on such
a trivial issue when I have a working option. Thanks, though!

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com }--

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." -- Philip K. Dick