[OpenIndiana-discuss] BAD WD drives - defective by design?

Rennie Allen rennieallen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:41:03 UTC 2011

Oh I see, I thought you were misusing the term sector and so I went along
with your terminology.

I realize this is a hardware/driver thing, but by increasing the blocksize,
it may change the number of interrupts per operation (or otherwise change
the temporal characteristics with which the driver interacts with the
hardware) and may help to mask a hardware defect.  I thought that this is
what you were suggesting.

I don't have an investment in these drives, so I'll happily not use them.