[OpenIndiana-discuss] BAD WD drives - defective by design?

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 07:39:18 UTC 2011

On 30/08/2011 6:39 p.m., Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> I somewhat doubt it's a driver thing, since it happens only with WD drives, and it happens with both the mpt and mpt_sas drivers.
>
> roy

Some sata drives just don't handle the sas-sata emulation combined with
sas expanders.

I have found early WD EADS drives with the firmware updated are fine
with expanders, and later ones (different version and firmware) aren't.

To make life more fun, don't trust a drive model to be any assistance in
selecting what works. All manufacturers seem to change the specs and
keep the model designation the same.

The 24 x Seagate 6Gb 2Tb SATA disks I had that wouldn't work with
expanders are now a solid FC target box via multiple Marvel 8 port PCI-X
cards direct to each disk.

Mark.