[OpenIndiana-discuss] 6 GB SATA drives on SAS HBAs (was: bad WD drives)

Russ Price rjp_sun at fubegra.net
Tue Aug 30 13:20:33 UTC 2011

On 08/30/2011 02:39 AM, Mark wrote:
> Some sata drives just don't handle the sas-sata emulation combined with sas
> expanders.

Not only that, but I've found that the Seagate ST3500413AS (500 GB SATA 6Gb/s)
won't work on my Intel SASUC8I HBA (basically an LSI SAS3081E-R, which uses the
mpt driver). It'll work just fine on an AHCI port, but apparently the HBA can't
successfully autonegotiate the 3 Gb speed.

No jumper is available to force 3 Gb operation. If I place a jumper on the
typical Seagate speed limiter location, I get 1.5 Gb operation (but that's
actually undocumented for this specific drive family - the documentation claims
jumpers are unnecessary). I haven't tried the 1.5 Gb mode with the HBA, though.

Would a 6 Gb SAS HBA work with 6 Gb SATA drives?