[OpenIndiana-discuss] Debug network slowdown

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Tue Aug 30 20:33:11 UTC 2011

I've got a weird problem that I'm struggling to get a handle on.  It's
been going on for many months now.

I've got a Sunfire V20z acting as a firewall router (as well as
providing other services) (bge0 is the WAN and bge1 is the LAN).  What I
see is that a ping (let's say to yahoo.com), starts out with ping times
of 11mS and then slowly grows to over 2000mS and starts getting high
packet loss.  Bouncing the cable modem starts the process over again.
This doesn't happen consistently. Sometimes it runs for months before
going down this path, and sometimes it happens with a minute.

I've had the cable modem replaced three times with the same result, so
it is likely that the Sunfire being the source of the problem.

How the heck to I debug this nightmare?

Gary