[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which mobo allows 24 GB ram and ECC

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 23:15:00 UTC 2011

On 05/12/2011, at 6:41 AM, Geoff Flarity wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Lou Picciano <loupicciano at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Harry - You may be getting into SuperMicro mobo space at this point... (others here will have some specific recommendations for you).
>>
>> On the other hand - the latest Sandy Bridge Architectures will support 32 GB even on lower-end boards.
>>

> Be aware that there's bug withSandy Bridge + KVM that will require
> using a kernel parameter change work around. I forget the exact
> details, see the SmartOS archives.

I just set up a Sandy Bridge Xeon E3-1230 on an Intel S1200BTL which supports 32GB ECC memory. It's a bit fussy about what memory it supports - make sure you get the right type. There appears to be no BMC driver at present, but other than that, it's running well.

To get KVM to load without crashing, you need to add "set apix_enable=0" in /etc/system and reboot before installing kvm. It's also mentioned in an issue for illumos-kvm on github:

https://github.com/joyent/illumos-kvm/issues/1