[OpenIndiana-discuss] What advantages of KVM over Vbox

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Dec 5 21:39:49 UTC 2011

What advantages for KVM over things like Vbox?

I know how to use Vbox but would have to learn a whole new thing to
use KVM.

Admittedly a bit dense about what KVM is and how it works compared to
other vm solutions, even in a brief endeavor to `readup' on it.  I hit
things like (on KVM homepage under `Prerequisites'):

  A VT capable Intel processor, or an SVM capable AMD processor [...]

But no mention of what VT or SVM means.

Is there some rule of thumb way to know if your machine will support
KVM?