[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which mobo allows 24 GB ram and ECC

Geoff Flarity geoff.flarity at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 21:56:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Robin Axelsson
<gu99roax at student.chalmers.se> wrote:
> On 2011-12-05 14:34, Geoff Flarity wrote:

>>> Depending on how much stuffing around you're up for, richlowe and I
>>> have done some preliminary port-to-AMD work.  It works well on my HP
>>> Microserver (AMD N36L CPU) and somewhat well on an older CPU in a
>>> machine richlowe had access to that does not have NPT.
>>>
>>>  https://github.com/jclulow/illumos-kvm
>>>
>>> There are definitely still bugs to iron out, but it's hard to do that
>>> without testers and access to more hardware.  :)
>>
>> Wow, this is great news guys. Thanks for your hardwork. What are the exact
>> requirements in terms of amd CPU. I have an old one sitting around that I
>> doubt will work but I'm willing to upgrade to help test. My mobo supports
>> am2 and am3.
>

> I don't know the specific requirements but I'm quite sure that any Phenom II
> or Athlon II should work fine with OI. If you are looking for virtualization
> it won't hurt to have more cores. I can confirm that a slow 905e/910e CPU
> works fine. I have managed to get a virtual Windows 7 machine to run on an
> AMD system using libvirt, I'm not sure whether it was Qemu or KVM that I
> used. But that was on a Fedora Linux installation and not OI. Virtualization
> using VirtualBox works fine on an AMD system with OI as a host OS, at least
> when using Windows guests and I have been using it regularly.

Ok, I ask because I know the Intel port is very specific (Nahelm,
Westemere and Sandy Bridge only). I have an old Athalon II I believe
so I can give it shot sometime.

Are there instructions anywhere on how to compile and use an Illumos
kernel? I'm not afraid to compile it, but I'm not sure I'd know what
to do the result afterwards :)