[OpenIndiana-discuss] What advantages of KVM over Vbox

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Dec 5 23:41:17 UTC 2011

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:

> On 12/05/11 13:39, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I hit things like (on KVM homepage under `Prerequisites'):
>>
>>    A VT capable Intel processor, or an SVM capable AMD processor [...]
>>
>> But no mention of what VT or SVM means.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

Thanks for the URL, but man.. I'd recommend that page for anyone who
wants to be absolutely confused, spun in circles on edge and run at
warp speed on an upside down tilt-a-whirl..backwards.

Serious information overload and all of it a good bit over my head.

I did find the meanings referenced though.  Thanks for that.

I didn't come away knowing how to tell if my hardware has any kind of
virtualization stuff either.. other than a mention that svm could be
grepped for in linux at /proc/cpuinfo, but only applies to AMD I
think.

I'm running an older P4 wannabe Celeron 3.06 Ghz, 2gb ram.  Still no
idea of it has any virtualization tools.

But I am upgrading... in the sweet bye and bye.

So is KVM a lot faster, or better utilizes resources or what .. over Vbox?