[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which mobo allows 24 GB ram and ECC

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Tue Dec 6 00:24:40 UTC 2011

On 2011-12-05 22:20, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Jerry Kemp<sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc>  writes:
>
>> I have one of these running OI b151a without issue.
>>
>> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
>>
>> I only have 12 Gb of ram installed, but it goes to 24 Gb.
> At neweggs page with specs I don't see any mention of ECC memory.  Do
> you know if it is supported?

You could first try to go to the "Support page" of this motherboard and
download the User's Manual. Open up the manual and search around for
ECC. Usually there is a screenshot of the BIOS/UEFI setup in the manual
that may look like this:

http://motherboards-reviews.com/ASUS/socket_AM3/M2N68-AM_PLUS/images/ASUS_M2N68-AM_PLUS_BIOS_ECC_configuration.jpg

Also don't hesitate to search on the net for motherboard reviews. If you
won't find anything, hope is not yet lost. You can contact Gigabyte
customer service and ask the question there. Keep in mind that just
because ECC isn't mentioned in the manual or the specs it doesn't mean
that the motherboard doesn't support it. Sometimes such features aren't
mentioned.