[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana/ZFS mail server HA, config

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Tue Dec 6 07:34:44 UTC 2011

Actually, automatic failover will not be necessary, it is after all only
a mail server in an environment with fairly resilient users.
They'd be quite happy to have to call a sysadm up for manual failover.

I think in an almost unsupported OS like OI is today, one shouldn't rely
on anything but the most basic stuff. I wouldn't expect to ever be able
to test a hacked-up auto failover mechanism well enough to hand it over
to an unsuspecting colleague with little experience outside Windows or Mac.

So: manual failover is absolutely OK.