[OpenIndiana-discuss] tutorial for creating pkg's for bundling software

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Dec 6 18:09:18 UTC 2011

On 12/06/11 04:33, Peter Lees wrote:
> hi folks
>
> in the olden days i used to use pkgmk and so on to create SVR4 packages of my software bundles (eg local buids of perl, apache, etc)
>
> can anyone suggest a good tutorial for doing the same thing with this newfangled  'pkg'  stuff ?

I don't know about tutorials, but docs for package building at the equivalent
of the pkgmk level are:

https://timsfoster.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/replacing-the-application-packaging-developers-guide/

Various people have built higher level frameworks, such as oi-build & pkgtool
around the core commands, but understanding the core should help in any case.

> i'd like to make whatever the equivalent of package streams are, so i can copy them around my various openindiana VM's - some of which may not be internet-accessible.

The equivalent would be *.p5p archives, but they require a pkg version
newer than build 151:
http://blogs.oracle.com/srw/entry/pkg_5_archive_and_temporary

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com