[OpenIndiana-discuss] What advantages of KVM over Vbox

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Wed Dec 7 00:18:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Geoff Flarity <geoff.flarity at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Harry,
>
> I'd stick with VirtualBox if you're not looking to do anything
> serious. For example, say you just want to run Windows on your OI
> desktop. Especially if you're using the VirtualBox GUI. One issue that
> VirtualBox has is that it doesn't respect disk synchronization.
>
> Cheers,
> GF

Hi Geoff.

You can force vbox to flush the disk properly.

VBoxManage setextradata "VM name"
"VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/LUN#[x]/Config/IgnoreFlush" 0

Vbox has some nice features and is the core foundation for Oracle's
VDI solution, which is built on top of Solaris.  I don't know if I
would use it for a heavy server workload (still determining this), but
for regular server workloads, it has performed well for me.

Vbox has a new crossbow network stack, but it only works on Solaris 11
builds >= 159.  I am not sure what it would take to make it work
properly with OI, but that would be nice.

Geoff