[OpenIndiana-discuss] kvm-linux + openindiana : maximum disk size?

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 11:02:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 02:40:33PM +1100, Peter Lees wrote:
> hi folks
>
> i'm running openindiana 151a as a VM on kvm-linux (centos 6.0)
>
> i'm trying to assign a 1TB qemu disk image to OI VM, but when the VM
> boots, it complains that the disk is too large, and then assigns an
> estimated size of 63TB (!!). this then upsets zfs when i try to create
> a pool.
>
> i can only assign the disk as an IDE drive - the qemu scsi driver is
> not available on centos/fedora/etc, and the virtio driver doesn't
> appear to work with OI.
>
> any suggestions?  have i found yet another limitation?

I'm running dlc-1.de.oi.o under KVM. I found that trying to create disks
bigger than 100GB would cause massive performance issues and I think
even caused the guest to crash. My workaround was just to split the data
across two virtual disks, each of 100GB.

I don't know if this a limitation/bug in KVM or the Solaris kernel (this
was back at oi_147).

James