[OpenIndiana-discuss] What advantages of KVM over Vbox

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:19:52 UTC 2011

Geoff Nordli wrote:
> Vbox has a new crossbow network stack, but it only works on Solaris 11
> builds >= 159. I am not sure what it would take to make it work
> properly with OI, but that would be nice. Geoff
Do you know on what release Virtualbox introduced this changes and/or
incompatibility with Illumos? (OI)
When it started happening?

This is important, since Virtualbox should continue to support Illumos
based distributions like Openindiana, but that is up to Virtualbox
developers and there is not many developers not paid by oracle that do
develop Virtualbox.
Perhaps just a minor effort is needed for Illumos/OS to be supported for
virtualbox and maybe people at Virtualbox are already doing it but I am
not sure.

At least Virtualbox works on Openindiana , with KVM module removed
and/or  "export VBOX_HWVIRTEX_IGNORE_SVM_IN_USE=true" used prior invocation
and SFE repository workaround for GCC/Virtualbox working On Openindiana
151a: (look for virtualbox)
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Spec+Files+Extra+Repository
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1840