[OpenIndiana-discuss] Network (RTL8111/8168) not working properly on OpenIndiana 151a

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Wed Dec 28 21:24:03 UTC 2011

After a fresh install of OI 151a I discovered that the network
connection fails intermittently. Firefox stalls in OI, SSH sessions
spontaneously get severed, internet/network availability goes on and off
with this connection.

Basically the behaviour is the same as when I was running earlier builds
of OpenSolaris on a machine with the RTL8111DL chip. When asking the
question on the Osol forums the reply was that this was a known bug and
the recommendation was to get an Intel based NIC. Later I was informed
that this bug was resolved in later builds of OpenSolaris. So when I
upgraded to build 134, the RTL8111DL started working without problems. I
even upgraded to OpenIndiana 148 and still no problems.

Now I have replaced the motherboard on that system to a motherboard with
the RTL8111E chip. Since my hard drive died I have done a fresh install
of OI 151a on a new hard drive and once again this network bug has woken
up from its apparently dormant state.

Has someone accidentally put an old version of the rge driver into the
OI distribution? If not, does anyone have any idea as to why this
problem has come back?

I tried to replace the rge driver with the gani 2.6.8 driver but the
problem was slightly worse on the gani driver. Even my VMs hang when
using the gani0 connection  (bridged networking on VBox).

I have tried using an Intel network card with the e1000g driver and it
has shown no problems whatsoever on my system.

So is this problem fixable or will I have to use Intel NICs with my system?

Robin.