[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 148 and HP Server with SmartArray 5i controller

Edward Martinez mindbender_1 at live.com
Thu Feb 3 01:44:01 UTC 2011

On 02/02/11 17:20, Kirill Ponazdyr wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Oh, yes serial console output is a good idea, I will do this tomorrow and
> post the data.
>
> The problem is really painful, I am able to boot into the life image now
> but I cannot replace the driver with the different one, tried almost
> everything, from adding a custom driver via manager GUI (Says it installed
> and asks for a reboot......), replacing the CPQary3 package or just
> replacing the actual cpqary3 binary in /kernel/drv/amd64 with different
> version.
>
> One thing is for sure though: System does not crash when I replace the 2.2
> with 2.1 version. I did not try 2.3 because it does not support SmartArray
> 5i+ according to included documentation.
>
> When I do 'add_drv' + proper PCI ID with 2.2 - system instantly panics,
> when I do that with 2.1 it does not, it says that driver is loaded but was
> unable to attach.
>
> Regarding the hardware raid: Right now - with Solaris 10 - we use it for a
> mirrored boot / root / global zone FS only, actual services are provided
> by sub-zones which in turn are located on external JBOD array with raidz2
> zfs pool.
>
> The idea is to replace Solaris 10 installs with OI.
>
> Kirill
>
>>> Kirill, are you able to take a picture of the panic stack?
>>>
>> ...or attach a serial console and make a dump?
>>
>> just out of interest - are you going to hardware raid with OI?
>>
>> Vennlige hilsener / Best regards
>>
>> roy
>> --
>> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
>> (+47) 97542685
>> roy at karlsbakk.net
>> http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
>> --
>> I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt.
>> Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv
>> anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller
>> eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.

   Hi,
   It appears these servers will be used in production and you're using
the liveDVD
    I think the OI devs have decided,  the  "server text installer
images"  CD   will be mad for   production servers, since they  will be
issuing
     updates( security, bug fixes, etc) for it,  not for  the liveDVD
desktop/developer release.

--
Regards,
Edward