[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to document SMF facilities for an upstream package

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 18:55:22 UTC 2011

> On 03/02/2011 15:44, Gary Mills wrote:
[about running something as an SMF service, among other things]

>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:04:52PM -0500, Gordon Ross wrote:

>>> Sometimes it's not that simple though. There's a lot of magic in SMF
>>> (and even more in "ctfs" - contracts) so you can't necessarily just take
>>> some open-source server program and run it as an SMF service.
>>> As an example, I saw a problem with Samba where it did fork/exec of
>>> some helper process (printing? I forget what) where that process died
>>> with a fatal signal, and SMF took the whole service "offline".  The issue
>>> here is that there are rules for running as an SMF service, which you
>>> sometimes can't just ignore.  Something to watch out for.
[...]

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Rob McMahon <robmcmahoncv at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not tough to fix.  From my amavis.xml:
>
> <!--
>    Children of amavisd sometimes dump core, shouldn't restart the entire
>    service for this, amavisd looks after it.  amavisd-nanny will kill a
> child
>    if it appears to be stuck.  It handles this too.
>    -->
> <property_group name='startd'
>                type='framework'>
> <propval name='ignore_error'
>                    type='astring' value='core,signal' />
> </property_group>
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks _so_ much for providing that hint!  I vaguely remembered that there was
a way to tell SMF not to be concerned about that, but couldn't find
it.  Very helpful.

That reminds me of another SMF gripe of mine:  Lots of stuff that can
appear in a
service manifest, and it's hard to find clear documentation about much of it.

Gordon