[OpenIndiana-discuss] Monitor or writing drivers

Edward Martinez mindbender_1 at live.com
Sun Feb 6 16:59:15 UTC 2011

On 02/06/11 08:37, Michelle Knight wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> How do I watch for if anyone is working on a driver for the Rocket 622?
>
> Or, how do I start learning about writing drivers please?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Michelle.

      Hi,

     I think you have to track illumos project

     to write your own drivers, you need to have some in-depth knowledge
of C     programming, like, bit manipulating functions, pointer
usage,etc and microprcessor
programming,like, interrupts, memory addressing, and be also familiar
with assembler,
  because a driver supports things like basic I/O function, manages
interrupts,etc. make a long story short know basic computer science:-)

--
Regards,
Edward