[OpenIndiana-discuss] Monitor or writing drivers

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Sun Feb 6 21:54:26 UTC 2011

There was a time where I understood the 8086 architecture quite well. I had
Peter Norton's books and even wrote in Pascal and 8086 assembler taking over
the graphics subsystems - http://msknight.com/index.php?page=221 - don't ask
me what that code does now, though. I haven't got a clue.

A number of very kind people have e-mailed me directly with some considerably
solid advice.

To be honest, I don't want to return to the days of knowing the architecture
inside out. It was easier when I was in my late teens and didn't have any of
the grief that burdens us adults. These days, unless it is part of the job, it
is difficult to devote enough time to ... and from what I've been told, it
would take a considerable amount of time to get to the device driver
programming level ... along with technical details of the card that I'm not
likely to get my hands on.

The GIC704SR5 is a good suggestion, but is only 1.5Gbps if I read correctly.
The RocketRaid is 6Gbps; I need the speed to transfer terrabytes out to
external storage overnight.

The RocketRaid 600 appear to be in Linux already, so there should be a driver
already written. I'm hoping that I might be able to learn enough to be able to
convert the existing code.

Oh ... bother. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Who am I kidding? I'm not the coder I was as a teen. I'm just throwing good
money after bad, and am reliant on the good will of the people that have the
knowledge to keep systems like OI, etc. running.

...and now I'm out of wine. That means time for bed.