[OpenIndiana-discuss] [storage-discuss] How to blink drive light?

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Mon Feb 7 08:24:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 05:22:48PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > It is "based" on solaris, but many of the drivers and apps are quite
> > different, and it supports a "generic" sas jbod's ses functions -
> > Supermicro in my case (which is what controls the led's), when
> > OpenSolaris does not.
>
> What would it take to make these "generic" SAS JBODs work with SES? I use supermicro myself, and I guess there might be a chance for a bounty on this...

So does "sestopo" work on your Supermicro system?
You can also try "/usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmtopo -dV" and "prtconf -v".

The important part is that the backplane SES chip needs to give
disk identification for each slot, so FMA can figure out which
disk is in which backplane slot.

If that works, then in the event of disk failure FMA should be
able to match "failed disk is in slot X" based on the SES info
and blink the correct failure LED using SES.

I don't know if FMA has all the needed bits included in opensolaris,
I believe at least Sun Fishworks had that stuff.

Some links:
http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock/entry/zfs_fma_hotplug_and_fishworks
http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock/entry/solaris_platform_integration_generic_disk
http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock/entry/ses_sensors