[OpenIndiana-discuss] An odd permissions issue...

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Mon Feb 7 21:52:21 UTC 2011

>      Hi,
>
>     I think you need to grab an piece of paper and pencil and trace step
> by step the way you have setup and see if a directory or file,etc is not
> correctly configured, like, trace a program by hand to find a logical
> error.

I have ... and that's what has driven me to looking like a complete prat by
putting this question out there. (well, according to my boss, I don't have to
put much effort in to looking like a dork, but that's his opinion!)

I'm connected to the share, authenticated as user "michelle". The user
michelle has the same uid on both machines. (not that this should matter in
this case ... but hey, I'm clutching at straws!) When the directory is
created, it is owned by michelle, group michelle and has permissions 770.

Even though I change the group to "useradmin" I should still have rights to
kill the directory through being the user, and having the first "7". But I
can't.

A file in the same position, no problem. A directory, no chance.