[OpenIndiana-discuss] beagleboard (arm) port?

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 13:56:55 UTC 2011

Whilst many of us would love to see an ARM port of OI and illumos, it's not
even on the cards yet.
OI is more oriented to bigger systems and there is a considerable amount of
effort to slim it down and port it to ARM.

Have you considered a mini-itx or pico-itx board? They would likely run OI
(assuming drivers etc.).

If you do go with the beagleboard, I suggest a embedded focused distribution
of linux than Ubuntu, just like OI its not really designed for the small end
of the spectrum and there are some very nice embedded distros.
Another possibility is FreeBSD on arm, FreeBSD zfs support is quite ahead of
linux, so would probably make a better base and its also got some nice mini
distro's ready to go :)

HTH,
Deano
deano at cloudpixies.com