[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenSolaris and dynamic DNS

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Wed Feb 9 12:29:10 UTC 2011

On 2/9/11 5:56 AM, Matt Connolly wrote:
> On 08/02/2011, at 6:16 AM, Gary Gendel wrote:
>

>> Thanks for all the responses.  Indeed, I've already replaced my cron script.

>>> dhcpagent(1M) describes the eventhook mechanism built into the DHCP client.  It's meant for exactly these sorts of uses.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
> That's good to know. I've been using "ddclient-3.7.3" for many months now on a cron schedule. In my case though, I have a router which gets the dynamic IP address and uses port mapping to expose only specific ports of my server to the internet, so I don't think I can make use of that at present...
>
> -Matt

I had a similar setup for many many years.  About 4 months ago my ZyWall
router was showing it's age with a lot of "NAT table full" messages and
it would get knocked offline often.  Because my Sunfire V20z had dual
NICS, I set it up as my firewall/NAT/router plus a DHCP server which is
why this option became feasible.  I haven't looks back at the ZyWall
appliance since.