[OpenIndiana-discuss] Are there any issues re ZFS on 2TB disks (from WD??) with large blocksizes?

Piotr Jasiukajtis piotr.jasiukajtis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:36:08 UTC 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Matt Connolly wrote:

> Here's my experience:
>
> On 07/02/2011, at 11:31 PM, Piotr Jasiukajtis wrote:
>> On Feb 7, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
>>
>>> Could someone enlighten me as to what is wrong with WD's disks, and particularly what's wrong with their EARS disks?
>>
>> 1. They emulate 512b with a big write performance hit.
>> Workaround is to use patched zpool or use zfs sync=disabled, however you will not use patched zpool on a boot zpool.
>
> I have a simple setup with 2x SATA drives: 1 x Samsung Silencer HD154UI and 1 x Western Digital Green WD15EARS.
>
> The write performance of the WD is so bad that the entire system becomes totally unresponsive, sometimes for minutes at a time, while the drive catches up with a massive backlog of writes. (Read performance is fine.) Symptoms are exactly the same as the first post in this thread:
>
> http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Poor-performace-in-OpenSolaris-with-4K-sector-drive-WD10EARS-in/td-p/20947
>
> I stil get these symptoms with OI-148.
Try zfs sync=disable - that works on oi_148.

>> 2. They spin down heads every 8 seconds.
> This particular problem can be overcome by using the WD3IDLE command to defeat this behaviour.
Actually it's not possible anymore with 2TB drives with the latest firmware revision.

>> 3. I have seen a few bad sector reports and bad heads on those drives.
>
> I haven't seen any read/write errors in `zpool status` ever. (nearly one year old).
My first EARS drive comes with broken heads, second one is good so far.
However my colleges also has some issues with those drives, after a few months of uptime they just broke (bad sectors and/or heads).

> I'm not going to get another WD * EARS drive.
Same here. I have never seen so bad drive design.

--
Piotr Jasiukajtis | estibi | SCA OS0072
http://estseg.blogspot.com