[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPU HCL - nVidia Questions & Advice

Edward Martinez mindbender_1 at live.com
Thu Feb 10 07:30:09 UTC 2011

On 02/09/11 21:52, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> Hello People:
>
> I need a new graphics card for an older system (PCIE-1.0). I don't game,
> do graphics, rendering, etc. so don't need high end - just a good
> workstation unit that supports OpenGL, good color accuracy, and draws
> square squares :)  Occasional DVD's are probably about the most GPU
> intensive use the system sees. Noisy fans and failed fan bearings are a
> drag, so passive cooling is a plus, but not always a must as long as the
> card doesn't make the box sound like a hovercraft.
>
> So I thought I'd consult that newly created HCL wiki and was pleased to
> note the Quadro 600 is "officially supported".  The Quadro 600's price
> point is attractive but otherwise I don't know much about it, as it's
> relatively new unit. So I've a question for Mr. Mays; is the 600 your
> daily driver, and if so, how do you like it?.
>
> Also, the nVidia 256.44 driver's support many, many cards, yet only 4
> models are listed.  I'm curios why this might be?  Shouldn't pretty much
> any of the cards supported by those drivers work?  Or is this list just
> a sample of stuff that's actually been tested by the OI community?
>
> I'm not very familiar with nVidia's line and welcome suggestions.
>
> Thanks bunches.

     Hello,

     I just order an nvidia Geforce GT 220 to use with OI, the onboard
video is to weak for me, and it's listed on nvidia 's 256,44 driver
supported
     list. I will let you know if it works soon:-)

  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5296653&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER& cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals

  http://www.nvidia.com/object/solaris-display-256.44-driver.html

--
Regards,