[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPU HCL - nVidia Questions & Advice

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Thu Feb 10 14:15:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 05:55 -0800, ken mays wrote:
> To Ken Gunderson,
>
> The Quadro 600 works fine.

Thanks, Ken.  How's the noise on that unit in a quiet room/office
environment?  In my experience larger diameter fans running at lower
rpm's are preferable to smaller units spinning fast. nVidia specs as
under 23 db but you can never believe marketing :(  I give much higher
credence to actual end users :)

> If you want a basic low-cost graphics card, you can use the GeForce GT 430 or NVIDIA 9600 GT which is available in most stores today for about $50-$80 USD. I suggest the Nvidia 9600 GT if you're a casual 3D user (i.e. gaming or otherwise), or the GT 430 if you need something more 'low profile'...

I'm personally okay with the under $200 price point....

> I'll update the HCL to reflect 'cheaper' cards.

But it's good to have some under $100 cards on the list :)

Thanks to all who replied. I think I'm going to grab a quadro 600,
unless Ken comes back with unfavorable db reports.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>