[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-dev-148 failure on V20z

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Sat Feb 12 03:58:04 UTC 2011

gary at genashor.com said:
> This sounds more like the CD is corrupt and the drive is having problems
> reading the disk.
>
> Two things to try... See if it installs on another machine and try an
> external usb drive. In the past I found that the external drive to be much
> more reliable than the internal drive on the v20z.

I tested the disk on another machine already -- the checksum matches that
of the original ISO image.  No external CD drive's handy.

Also, I was able to install Solaris 11 Express 2010-11 on this same
V20z (from internal CD drive), and I then used that installed OS to
read the OI-148 CD on the V20z's internal CD drive.  This also passed
the checksum test, although the read-speed did get a little dodgy
(slower, intermittent pauses) out toward the end of the CD.

So, I burned another copy (different color label, that should help :-),
and this one read back fine on the V20z, without the speed slow-downs
at the end.  However, this also fails to install, giving the same bit
of an ide-driver timeout warning message before hanging.

I don't think we can blame this on a corrupted CD.  The fact that the
same V20z, when it's running Sol11x-2010-11 can read the OI-148 CD
smoothly and without errors, indicates that the problem is not with
the disk or with the drive.

Is there anyone else out there who has got OI-148 running on a V20z?
Installed it from internal CD drive?  I'm intending to build this as
our first AI install server for the Solaris-11 variants.

This particular V20z has the most recent firmware available, and has
been running Solaris-10 since it was purchased new, so hardware problems
are unlikely.

Regards,

Marion