[OpenIndiana-discuss] Second Look at OI "Stable" Proposal (was Re: Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch)

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Feb 13 20:58:27 UTC 2011

On Feb 13, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

> I was just taking a second (well, actually third) look at this and the
> more important baby (IMAP) was thrown out with the bath water (MTA
> debate).

Both Cyrus (as perhaps most scalable/enterprise grade open source
IMAP server) and Dovecot (backwards compatible with existing
text mailboxes) may well have their place; one of those cases
where, if keeping them both well maintained isn't too burdensome,
choice would be desirable.

(I've run UW imapd on Solaris 9 and later; poor performance,
but for personal use only, the backward compatibility was
a big deal, esp. since some Usenet readers can save to a
text mbox file, and one can then use a mail client to read
(and maybe even thread) the saved messages.)