[OpenIndiana-discuss] XDMCP not working

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Mon Feb 14 10:57:07 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-13 18:35, Frank Middleton wrote:
> On 02/13/11 00:37, Robin Axelsson wrote:
>> Hello I want to open up an XDMCP Session with my OpenIndiana machine
>> from a remote computer on a local network but it doesn't work. I can
>> only run multiple-window programs via PuTTy (in Xming for windows)
>> but when I want to establish a session, all I get is a gray screen.
>
> Are you sure that the hostnames are being resolved correctly? It is
> easy to forget to check nsswitch.conf. If there are any name resolution
> problems xdmcp will not work. You should also check custom.conf in
> /etc/gdm to make sure  that;
>
> DisallowTCP=false
>
> is set in the [security] section. AFAIK you don't need to enable xfs.
>
> HTH -- Frank
> .

I have "DisallowTCP=false" set in the /etc/gdm/custom.conf and the name
resolution should be working. In the /etc/nsswitch.conf I have the
following:
hosts:      files dns mdns
ipnodes:   files dns mdns

and in /etc/inet/hosts I have specified names for the ip# of both the
host computer and the remote computer I'm trying to connect from.

The name resolution seems to work but I don't know how to verify it
though. I used to be disturbed by the long delay that incurred when
logging in remotely using ssh. I was informed that the long delay was
because the daemon was trying to resolve the ip:s with a name server for
which there is no name so I added the above mentioned settings and the
ssh login does no longer have a delay which I take as a sign that the
name resolution in fact works.