[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPU HCL - nVidia Questions & Advice

Edward Martinez mindbender_1 at live.com
Tue Feb 15 00:48:07 UTC 2011

> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:41:29 +0000
> From: guy.woolley at btinternet.com
> To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] GPU HCL - nVidia Questions & Advice
>
>   You just need to look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "vesa" to "nv"
> - that should do it. My Xorg.conf file reads simply.
>

> Section "Device"
>      Identifier  "Card0"
>      Driver      "nv"
> EndSection
>
> I have a 27" monitor that needs 1920 x 1080. Vesa looks terrible for me
> as it doesn't get past 1280x 1024 (if I remember rightly). It's a shame
> as this card is a) cheap and b) looks pretty good when it does its stuff
> under WinXP.
>
> The other downside is that most of the Screensavers shipped with OI
> don't work for me.
>
> Best of luck
>
> Guy

Hi,
 Did not work for me. I made my xorg.conf to look like yours but I get the following error and i was also getting the xtsol module not found but that
  was cleared up when i installed trusted-xorgserver.  current error:

  NV(0): No valid intial configuration found
  Screens found, but none have a usable configuration

    Fatal server error:
    no screens found

so i thought  issuing "Xorg -configure" might help but it did not i get the same error

 xorg-conf file created from Xorg -configure cmd:

        Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/amd64"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11/lib/modules/"
        FontPath     "catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "ia"
        Load  "extmod"