[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multifunction colour laser printer for OSOL, OI ?

Bruce Hoiem bhoiem at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:47:19 UTC 2011

OSol, including Oracle Solaris 11 Express, and OI-147 all have the CUPS
printing system, so all you need is the ppd file for the printer you
choose. I haven't checked OI-148, but suspect it keeps CUPS. I did check
OI-147 on VirtualBox with the LiveCD install.

The Brother DCP-9055CDN is not listed in the CUPS Add Printer dialog,
but you have an option to add the PPD file ("CUPS driver") for it.
Likewise, the Samsung printer isn't list, but you said you can get the
PPD file from Samsung. You might check that the Linux driver is the PPD
file.

My recent printer is an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 all-in-one, and it prints
simplex and duplex. I haven't done any host-initiated scanning (don't
know if it is possible.) The OS's I've used with it are OpenSolaris
2009.06, snv_134, and Oracle Solaris 11 Express, and I had to find and
then add the PPD file for it.

Configure CUPS with http://localhost:631 in a web browser. There are
comprehensive help pages there, too.

HTH,