[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multifunction colour laser printer for OSOL, OI ?

McBofh james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:16:18 UTC 2011

On 15/02/11 07:24 PM, Guy Woolley wrote:
> Hello all,
> Does anyone have positive experience of a currently available (not
> legacy) Multifunction colour laser printer (duplex printing,copy,
> scan, fax) running under recent OpenSolaris or OpenIndiana ?
>
> I have located 2 possible models:
>
> Samsung CLX-6220FX
>
> Manufacturer mentions a "Unified driver for Linux"
>
> Brother DCP-9055CDN
>
> manufacturer mentions CUPS driver download.
>
> Any other suggestions v. welcome - or even report that the above do
> NOT work, or that there is no such thing would be very useful.
>
> I've tried openprinting.org but didn't get anywhere.

Hello Guy,
My experience recently has been with Canon and Epson. Both
companies claim to be opensource-friendly, but Canon's openness
only extends as far as giving you pre-compiled linux binary
blobs for its actual raster engine.

Epson, on the other hand, provides proper buildable source for
their consumer-grade inkjets (I've got the Stylus Photo TX810fw)
and it works very nicely indeed. The only quibble I've got is
that I still need to hack on the ppd so it'll do duplexing for
me. But that's not a high priority at the moment.

Epson's drivers are available via http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver,
and they do have a section for lasers.

Once you've got their bits installed, it's very easy to tell
CUPS about them, and away you go.

McB